09 July, 2009

There Has To Be More 2

I wanted to add something to the last post. I didn't want to sound like I was being too down on gallery/museum opportunities. I do believe this world grabs a narrow audience, a sliver of the big picture, but that sliver can be fun, and also important in establishing work, selling prints, gaining recognition, etc.

So go after them already.

But, my point was to say, there is much more out there to do in terms of showing work. And, depending on the work, the traditional route of gallery/museum/publication, might not work.

Last week I photographed several people who I would venture to say have never been to a photo-gallery, and probably never will. I would also venture to guess that they have probably been to a museum once or twice in their life, but probably decades ago. So, how do I involve them in the exhibition? Invite them to a gallery show they are never going to attend?

Nope. Not enough. There has to be more. I have to invent how to get the community involved. It's my responsibility as a photographer. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to spend all this time engaging with a community, and then not have them involved in some way.

So, I'll figure something out. And, if the work is good enough, then perhaps the gallery/museum pursuit at some point. But first things first.

No comments: