02 February, 2007

The Heat is On

The results of the great United Nations report on Global Warming are in, and the message seems to be fairly clear. Humans. Once again our species seems to have made a negative contribution, and continues to do so.
However, I don’t this conclusion was much of a surprise. There has been much resistance, from certain groups, about the validity of global warming, but I think the number of resistors is dwindling.
As humans we do many grand things, many of which are positive, but at the same time there is no doubt we pollute. Travel the world, swim in the ocean, peer over Orange County at dusk and it is very evident we leave a residue on the land and sea.
What scares me in regards to the report is the idea, “Well, nothing I can do about it.” Where and how this even came to print, to be, is beyond me, and I can already see this being used as the crutch for us to, once again, pass the buck.
As Americans, we have the luxury of being able to help. We have the time and resources to say, “Okay, I’m going to change.”
The luxury of today, DVD players and leather seats, will be replaced, eventually, with the luxury of just breathing.

No comments: