26 February, 2009

A New York Family State Of Mind









It has been a while since I posted about my kids work, so after being encouraged by the folks in these snaps I thought I would post up about this little scene before you. These images are from my "family photo-essay" work, which I do more and more these days. I've begun to do these all over the country, and this was my first New York shoot, but if all goes as planned, there will be many more of these New York contributions coming along very shortly.

As many of you know, I've been doing documentary work for years, so shooting in this style is something I'm very comfortable with, and in fact, is my favorite way to shoot. This is just a tiny taste, but hopefully it will give you an idea of how a shoot like this works.

In short, I spend the day, or days with the family, sorta like the long, lost uncle who emerges from nowhere to reengage with the family, only I'm not related, but I AM an uncle!! Actually, one of my "regular" kids I photograph three or four times a year recently asked his mom, "Is Dan my uncle?" Love that.

Anyway, back to the story.

A New York day, Brooklyn, subway, Chinatown. I prefer to do a real day, or gathering or event in someone's life, as opposed to a "fictional" day of photo-ops. You can never substitute for real, and you can really see when snaps are faked.

These shoots are so much fun for me because I feel like I'm back working at a newspaper, assigned to follow a mayor, a politician, an athlete, or police officer.

My Leica(Zeiss/Contax) in one hand, my Blad in the other, a bag of film, and the opportunity to just follow and watch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brillian shots, Dan! Send me your vibe for this week so I can use it in class!!!!