07 February, 2009

Two Amazing People








Okay, when I was about six-years-old, I won a stuffed crocodile at Kings Island amusement park. There were plastic ducks floating in a small, fake river, and I chose lucky "13" and won this baby. It was as long as my leg, and I think I slept with it for at least a year, or until it got too disgusting to keep around. I'm sure it found its way into the landfill, and based on the materials it was manufactured with, it is probably still smoldering underground.

Point is, I was excited.

A few weeks back, Design Within Reach hosted a book signing with truly legendary photographer Julius Shulman, in his 90's, who was gracious enough to come down from LA and sign books.

My wife and I have a book, which we took to the opening to get signed.

However, in addition to our book, DWR also have a book raffle, which we entered.

I'm tooling around, snapping here and there, eating cookies, checking out "designed" things, etc, and my wife enters the raffle.

A few, short minutes later, they make the drawing and I can see over the shoulder of the person pulling the ticket. If you listened closely you could have heard me say, "I don't believe it."

Guess who won? Really, guess who won??? Three guesses. Guess.

Yes, my wife. And as evidenced by these images, her excitement level was on par with my "Kings Island Spectacular" from all those years ago. She even got a kiss. I don't remember a kiss at the amusement park. Too much "stranger danger" banged into my mellon to think about kisses.

So anyway, I'm hoping that her excitement wears off on the rest of the world. Is that too much to ask?

Here is a link to J. Shulman.


JULIUS SHULMAN

No comments: