30 May, 2008

Portfolio Review





Okay, so I was at a review. I wasn't getting my work reviewed, but I was lurking around the perimeter of OTHER people getting reviewed. Being a photographer is a real burden, and it means a perpetual feeling of needing to do something, regardless of where you are or what you are doing.

Another photographer said to me once, "I'm not a guy that carries a camera around." This was his way of saying he ONLY made pictures while on assignment, which for him was what worked.

For me, this doesn't work, not at all. I shoot all the time, and carry a camera all the time, and in many ways find making pictures far more enjoyable when I'm NOT on assignment. In fact, to me, there is nothing better than just walking around and shooting, regardless of assignment, job, etc, and regardless if anyone ever sees those images.

I think you truly find who you are as a photographer when you are alone and working only for yourself. When you have been given no direction, you need to find it yourself, and this forces you to ask, "Who am I?" and "What do I want to say?"

If you have nothing to say, this could be an issue, so be prepared.

These photos are an example of what I'm talking about. These pictures are LOADED with other photographers, so if anyone can guess who they all are you get.....you get...nothing really, other than me saying, "Wow, you guessed them all."

No comments: